Increased transparency for tracking and reporting progress part of newly announced sustainability goals.
Within its soft home assortment, the company has pledged that 60% of its textiles assortment will be made with certified preferred fibers by 2025. These will include organic, recycled and responsible materials. The home furnishings retailer will prioritize fibers the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) and Textile Exchange certification standards to define preferred fibers from raw materials to final product. Those standards apply to recycled fiber content, responsibility sourced down and ocean waste, among others.
Crate’s two other core goals for 2025 include 50% FSCcertified furniture and 100% Greenguard Gold certified Crate & Kids furniture. Together, the company’s goals focus on leading Crate & Barrel, CB2, Crate & Kids and Hudson Grace with corporate responsibility and responsible design at the forefront of everything from products and packaging to people and social wellness.
Increased transparency for tracking and reporting progress across these commitments will be implemented as well.
More broadly, the company laid out seven core values guiding its sustainability goals:
1. Climate Neutrality: Setting climate targets and reducing carbon footprint, from factories and facilities to the customer’s doorstep.
2.Sustainable Materials: Using more sustainably sourced materials in products, including FSC-certified wood, preferred fibers and recycled packaging.
3. Ethical Supply Chain: Engaging and supporting suppliers in continuous social and environmental improvement.
4. Circular Solutions: Exploring ways to replace single-use consumption with circular projects, operations and products.
5. Empowered Employees: Empowering teams throughout the organization to shape innovative sustainability programs and put them into practice.
6. Conscious Customers: Simplifying the customer experience to promote responsible shopping with clear labeling, third-party verification and sustainable products.
7. Digital Responsibility: Improving privacy, security and data collection while using tech solutions, such as remote meetings, to reduce emissions.
“Our vision is to build a home with purpose in order to create happier and healthier communities for future generations. These goals represent our commitment to helping our people and the planet thrive while growing our business,” said Janet Hayes, CEO of Crate & Barrel Holdings. “This is just the beginning; we are on a journey driven by passion, transparency and accountability at every turn, to leave the world a better place than we found it.”